12 Nov 2013

Kevin Smith describes Ben's Batsuit

While hosting the "Man of Steel" Blu-ray live chat over the past weekend, Kevin Smith got a special surprise after the show with Zack Snyder showing him a photo of Ben Affleck in the new Batman costume for "Batman Vs. Superman". 

Smith then talked briefly about the experience and his reaction on his show Smodcast:
“He pulls me to the side, and he shows me…he pulls out his iPhone, as if it was going to be like look at this picture of my kids. And he showed me something that just…I’m not kidding I went glassy-eyed, and not because I was baked, absolutely glassy-eyed. I went weak in the knees,” said Smith “And it made me happy in such a way that nothing I’m not involved with has made me feel in a long time. I saw the Batman costume. More than that I saw a picture of him [Ben Affleck] in the costume." 
“Now, I don’t want to give anything away, because that’s up to them and stuff. But I’m going to say this, man. I instantly bear hugged him. He was happy with that. You have not seen this costume in a movie on film before. It is…and for a comic book fan it was mind bending  I was like get the **** out of here. Only you have enough power to pull this off, man, because everyone always does this ****ing matrixy kind of slash X-men black armour thing. There wasn’t a single nipple on this ****ing suit, man. It was fantastic. I’m telling you as a geek I was just like [pretending to be out of breath]. I was like this is giving me a heart attack.” 
“It’s its own thing, man. We haven’t been down this path at all. I was so elated. As happy as I was for that movie, as excited as I was, knowing the guy in the suit helps, but whether I knew that dude or not, as excited as I was, I was like a child, dude. I’ve wanted to see Batman and Superman together on the big screen since there was a Batman TV show with Adam West and Superman movie with Christopher Reeve.” 
When encouraged for Kevin Smith to draw a picture of what he saw, he said he couldn’t but there was someone who could. Smith said, “There’s a very [bleep] influence to it, I would say.”
No idea who the bleep was but rumours on the interwebs are that the new Batman costume is inspired by Lee Bermejo’s, Batman in the Batman: Noël graphic novel but we could get a curve ball with a Frank Miller inspiration from The Dark Knight Returns from The Dark Knight Returns. Only time will tell!

Batman Vs. Superman is scheduled to be released in movie theatres  17th July 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment